Saturday, July 10, 2004

As Hot as the Sun.

The horrible Japanese summer has finally arrived in full force. All this week it has been well over 30 night and day with humidity over 65%. It rained today for a bit, making it cool for about 10 minutes. Only 8 more weeks! BONZAI!!!! Personally, I can't see why anybody gets juiced over summer here. 10 weeks of sauna like heat everywhere, having to change your clothes twice a day, sweating like a rapist all day long. YEESH. I could understand if I didn't have to go to work for the entire time or something. In noway are my feelings about summer here equivalent to everyone else's.

By "rapist", I meant rapist of Western Canada, not mind rapist, or rapist rapist.

I just wanted to clarify that.

So, while you enjoy your weekend doing whatever it is you do, I drink water and sit infront of a fan.

Last week, we went down to the fiancee's hometown in Kyushu. Nagasaki ken to be exact. We planned our wedding, I went drinking with extended family in-laws, I retained my title as beer drinking Champion of her village. 12 hours, 26 pints, still coherent and standing. Only kryptonite can stop me! Ha! Ha!

Oh! Just had an Earthquake. Good thing I wasn't on the toilet, or it could have been really bad.

It looks like we will be moving. Which is great. Unfortunately, I have to shell out almost $10,000 CAD to make it happen, which isn't so great. It's only a rental, but the lease is for 6 years (no rent increases)and it is big by Japanese standards. I'll get $5000 or so back when we move out. It has the biggest front yard I have ever seen in Japan in Megacity one. There is a park on one side and a Fishing pond across the street. At the pond there are cranes and big fuck off sized turtles. It will be my weekend fortress of Soli-dude. This is my second chance at this place. We almost didn't get it the first time around.

Today, while going from real estate agency to real estate agency, I had a revelation similar to Hollywood's greatest action hero. One sale's agent said the place had gone, but the timing was all out of whack. I went to his office on Tuesday night,around 7, and he said he couldn't get a hold of the owner. Then he called the fiancee to say he had a time booked to go check it out. They were closed on Wednesday and she went on Thursday morning and he said someone had rented it. Now, any sane person would see the inconsistencies of all this. However, I hounded her to call the real estate people for a week to make an appointment and she procrastinated too long. I was so pissed off at her because I only had half of the story at this point and, well, it seemed she blew the deal. Long story short, the real estate guy starts showing us other places that aren't as good, but pay him a better commission. So, out in the hot sun, kind of hung over and looking like a wet dog, I put all of this together, and march over to house I want to rent. Nobody has been near the place in a week (I could tell by the state of the premises with the power of deduction...like Sherlock Holmes). We called a different place, checked it out and tomorrow finger's crossed, I'll be moving on up.